Independent & Local Author Program
If you are a local author who has recently self-published a book, congratulations! Browseabout Books proudly supports the local author community. We offer dedicated space in our store for books by local and independent authors as well as host book signings and book launch parties throughout the year.
In January, the Local/Independent Author Program will operate with new submission guidelines and consignment terms. If you have a new book you are interested in selling at our store, please read through the guidelines and instructions below.
Also new this year! Browseabout Books is hosting a series of discussions geared to local authors or writers. These events will provide a mixture of advice and information about writing and publishing in a friendly, encouraging environment.
Check back for a list of scheduled events!
If you are an author with a current consignment arrangement and have questions about the new program, please contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Guidelines and Instructions:
- Queries will be accepted only during the “open” submission periods (see below).
- Books must have the author name(s) and title on the spine.
- Books must have an ISBN (poetry chapbooks exempt from this criteria).
- Books must be written within the past year (i.e. for 2020, books written prior to 2019 will not be considered).
- Books must be proofread and edited.
- Because your books, if accepted, will be featured in our “local” section, books should either be about the Rehoboth/surrounding area, or the author should have strong ties to the Rehoboth area.
If your book meets the above criteria, we welcome you to submit a query during our open submission period. Queries should be sent to email@example.com and should include the following information:
- Subject line of the email should contain the title of your book and your name
- A 3-4 sentence synopsis of the book
- A 3-4 sentence bio
- A jpeg of the book’s cover and spine
- A link to your webpage (if applicable)
- Retail price of book
- A statement of why your book is a good fit for our store, and if accepted, how you plan to market your book to our customers.
Open Submissions Periods for 2020 include the months of:
Books submitted outside of the submission periods will not be considered.
If we are interested in your query, we will request a copy of the book for review. Please do not send a copy of the book unless we request it!
What happens after we request a copy of your book?
Our staff will review your book. In doing so, we will ask: does the book meet the requirements? Is your book a good fit for our store? Some books might be appropriate for selling at a stand-alone event such as a book signing, and not necessarily be appropriate for carrying in the store. We will consider all the options and communicate our decision to you in an email.
More questions? Contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org
If your book is accepted into the program, we will ask you to sign a consignment agreement.