Grave Secrets (A Temperance Brennan Novel #5) (Mass Market)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 5 in the A Temperance Brennan Novel series.
- #1: Deja Dead: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #1) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #2: Death du Jour (A Temperance Brennan Novel #2) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #3: Deadly Decisions (A Temperance Brennan Novel #3) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #4: Fatal Voyage (A Temperance Brennan Novel #4) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #6: Bare Bones: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #6) (Mass Market): $8.79
- #7: Monday Mourning: A Tempe Brennan Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #7) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #8: Cross Bones (A Temperance Brennan Novel #8) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #9: Break No Bones: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #9) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #10: Bones to Ashes: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #10) (Mass Market): $9.99
- #11: Devil Bones: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #11) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #12: 206 Bones: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #12) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #13: Spider Bones (A Temperance Brennan Novel #13) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #14: Flash and Bones: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #14) (Mass Market): $10.99
- #15: Bones Are Forever: A Novel (A Temperance Brennan Novel #15) (Hardcover): $29.69
- #16: Bones of the Lost: A Temperance Brennan Novel (Mass Market): $7.99
- #19: A Conspiracy of Bones (A Temperance Brennan Novel #19) (Paperback): $16.99
- #20: The Bone Code: A Temperance Brennan Novel (Hardcover): $27.00
- #21: Cold, Cold Bones (A Temperance Brennan Novel #21) (CD-Audio): $29.99
As fresh and shocking as today’s headlines, a bone-chilling Tempe Brennan novel of international black marketeering in fetal tissue, decades old mass murder, and contemporary homicide from New York Times bestselling author and world-class forensic anthropologist Kathy Reichs.
It was a summer morning in 1982 when soldiers ravaged the village of Chupan Ya, raping and killing women and children. Twenty-three victims are said to lie in the well where, twenty years later, Dr. Temperance Brennan and a team from the Guatemalan Forensic Anthropology Foundation now dig. No records were kept. To their families, the dead are “the disappeared.”
Forensic anthropologist for the medical examiners in North Carolina and Montreal, Tempe is in Guatemala for a month’s service to help some families identify and bury their dead. She digs in a cold, damp pit where she finds a hair clip, a fragment of cloth, a tiny sneaker. Her trowel touches something hard: the hip of a child no more than two years old.
It’s heartbreaking work. Something savage happened here twenty years ago. The violence continues today. The team is packing up for the day when an urgent satellite call comes in. Two colleagues are under attack. Shots ring out, and Tempe listens in horror to a woman’s screams. Then there is silence. Dead silence.
With this new violence, everything changes, both for the team and for Tempe, who’s asked by the Guatemalan police for her expertise on another case. Four privileged young women have vanished from Guatemala City in recent months. One is the Canadian ambassador’s daughter. Some remains have turned up in a septic tank, and Tempe unfortunately knows septic tanks.
Teaming with Special Crimes Investigator Bartolomé Galiano, and with Montreal detective Andrew Ryan, who may have more than just professional reasons to join her on the case, Tempe soon finds herself in a dangerous web that stretches far beyond Guatemala’s borders. The stakes are huge. As power, money, greed, and science converge, Tempe must make life-altering choices.
From cutting-edge science in the lab, where Tempe studies fetal bones and cat hair DNA, to a chilling encounter in a lonely morgue, Grave Secrets is powerful, page-turning entertainment from a crime fiction superstar who combines riveting authenticity with witty, elegant prose.
About the Author
Kathy Reichs’s first novel Déjà Dead, published in 1997, won the Ellis Award for Best First Novel and was an international bestseller. Cold, Cold Bones is Kathy’s twenty-first entry in her series featuring forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. Kathy was also a producer of Fox Television’s longest running scripted drama, Bones, which is based on her work and her novels. One of very few forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology, Kathy divides her time between Charlotte, North Carolina, and Montreal, Québec. Visit her at KathyReichs.com or follow her on Twitter @KathyReichs.
"Powerful . . . a page-turner." -- The Hartford Courant (CT)
"The medical details . . . [are] vivid and fascinating." -- Booklist
"Chilling." -- People